Dr Mbagaya graduated from medical school in 1999 and worked in general medicine and achieved membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) before training in Clinical Biochemistry and Metabolic Medicine in Yorkshire Deanery, UK
He became a consultant in 2014 and is based at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston Foundation Trust, where he is a Clinical Director for Laboratory Medicine. He runs busy clinics in Metabolic Medicine, Lipids and Diabetes, while advising doctors and patients on the clinical significance of laboratory test results.
In addition to his NHS practice, he sees private outpatients at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital and Spire Bristol Hospital. His services are covered by major health insurers and he is listed in the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council.
- Cardiometabolic Medicine
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Cardiometabolic Risk in special groups such as women, autoimmune disease, previous chemotherapy
- Electrolyte Imbalance
- Mineral and Vitamin Replacement,
- Abnormal Blood Tests
- Men’s Health
- Investigation of Heavy Metal Poisoning
- Inherited Metabolic Conditions and their investigation
- Metabolic Effects Of Antidepressants And Antipsychotic Medication
- Metabolic Optimisation
- Body Malodour like Fish Odour Syndrome (Trimethylaminuria)
- Investigation of unexplained symptoms and fatigue
- Investigation and management of metabolic effects of menopause
- Investigation and management of metabolic effects of COVID and Long COVID
- Management and prevention of kidney stones
- Health Screening
He offers evidence-based, holistic care, tailored to individual patient needs. He is an advocate of personalised medicine for all and the use of technology in healthcare.
He is actively involved in clinical research where he has been the lead investigator and sub-investigator of a number of ground-breaking research in cholesterol treatments, some of which have now been rolled out as injectable cholesterol medicines.
With great insight and an understanding of the individual variation of certain disorders, he is a great advocate of personalised and patient-led medicine. This means that patient outcomes are related to their individual circumstances. He is an early adopter of technology and believes in its unfettered application in medical practice and teaching.
A passion for teaching led him to obtain a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning of Health professionals at the University of Bristol where he is an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer and Year 3 Lead at North Somerset Academy.
He continues to teach and mentor junior doctors and colleagues. He frequently speaks on UK-wide GP Teaching Courses on Laboratory Medicine and Lipidology.
- MB ChB Moi University, 1999
- MRCP UK, 2007
- FRCPath, 2014
- FRCP Edin, 2016
- EuSpLM, 2014 (European Specialist in Laboratory Medicine)
- PGCert Health Informatics Swansea University, 2009
- PGCert TLHP University of Bristol, 2019
- Association of Clinical Biochemistry
- European Atherosclerosis Society
- British Inherited Metabolic Disease Group
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Pathologists